Richmond C. Amadi is an independent journalist, Book Publisher, member of RSU Alumni, Researcher (currently researching with Researchgate.net), Writer, Motivational Speaker. He is a BSc Holder in Office and Information Management, and Diploma holder in Management all from Rivers State University. Currently doing his MSc with RSU. Contact him on Richmond.email@example.com or Amadirichmondc@gmail.com All Social Platforms: @amadirichmondc
The xenophobic attack in South Africa remains unabated as fresh attacks, looting and burning of businesses and properties belonging to foreigners, including Nigeria and in the process killed three people, while another is still receiving treatment for smoke inhalation.
Adetola Olubajo, the President of the Nigeria Union South Africa (NUSA), confirmed the incident on Monday, said the attacks began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.
His words: “The mob also looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.
“But the Police later dispersed the mob and made some arrest,’’ he said in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.
“Late in the evening of Sunday, Sept. 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern, Johannesburg looted and burned shops/businesses.’’
Another Auto Marts was set on fire by an angry mob on Sunday, September 1, in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Following a witnesses account, who lives on Jules street, the Zulu hostel dwellers said the attacks were organised and well-coordinated in looting and burning of any shops/businesses suspected to be owned by foreign nationals, including Nigeria, Nigeria News Agency reports.
NUSA President further noted that information gathered by members of NUSA in Malvern area indicated that over 50 shops/businesses were destroyed, looted and burnt over the night.
He said: “Also, some businesses owned by foreign nationals were looted in Germiston on Sunday evening. A Nigerian-owned Internet Café and computer accessories business were among the looted shops in Germiston.
“When I got the sad news late yesterday (Sunday) evening, I immediately informed the Police in Jeppestown but lots of damage had been done already.
“The means of livelihood of people were looted and destroyed by fire overnight which has left many Nigerians traumatised.
“Nigerian-owned businesses were seriously affected. A car sales business owned by a Nigerian were among the several businesses set ablaze over the night.
“Although the Police said that many people had been arrested in connection with the unnecessary attacks, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning,’’ he said.
Olubajo stressed that properties and businesses belonging to foreign nationals, including Nigerians worth millions of Rands had been lost to looting and burning in the past week at different locations in Johannesburg and Pretoria.
He said that there was massive protest march in different parts of Johannesburg which were targeted against foreign nationals, noting that some of the areas affected by the violent protest march were Turfontein, Germison, Rosettenville, Primrose and Silverton in Pretoria.
“We implore the security operatives to be proactive and not reactive as many long years hard-earned investments have been lost through looting, destruction and burning.
“Our government officials in South Africa should also seriously engage their counterparts in South Africa.
“This proactive move will go a long way to prevent further loss of properties and even lives. The situation is tensed and very dangerous for foreign nationals, hence, we implore Nigerians in South Africa, most especially in Gauteng Province to be vigilant and stay safe,’’ he said.